Fleas and Ticks
Fleas and ticks can be an ongoing challenge for pet owners. Unfortunately, many of the solutions are toxic to the pets, their owners and ultimately the environment.
Studies throughout the years have indicated that there are several health hazards associated with products we use to deal with fleas and ticks. we use them on our pets, in our homes, and around our homes. In a number of instances, we purchase products that are sold in stores that we know and trust and so we believe the products are safe. We believe that when it comes to certain types of chemicals and substances that we purchase to control pests such as fleas and ticks that they are carefully monitored, regulated, and even approved by the Federal Government. Unfortunately, this is a false assumption. In this article, you will be introduced to the health hazards of flea and tick products.
Annually, pet owners in North America spend millions of dollars on products that are suppose to eliminate the fleas and ticks on animals, in the home, and even in the structures and lawn that surrounds the home. While the poisons are typically quite effective in eliminating the nuisance pests, it is believed that these products also subject the animal, the adults, and the children in the home to the same poisons that kill the fleas and the ticks. The only difference is that death is not immediate. However, many individuals and animals experience sickness; serious infections, serious medical complications, and may eventually face death as a result of these dangerous pesticides.
While adults may suffer from the consequences of using pesticides, it has been found that there is a greater risk for children to suffer. This is basically due to the fact that children are still in the growth and developmental stages of their lives. This makes them and their bodies more sensitive to the dangerous chemicals that are in the basic composition of the flea and tick spray, and/or product. The most dangerous of all of these chemicals include the following ingredients:
The potential health risks associated with pesticides that are intended to be used on pets, in the home, or around the home to eliminate and/or control ticks and flea infestations are numerous! The following represents potential health complications that children and adults alike may experience:
- Many individuals who have been exposed have been faced with visual complications. These problems may include, but are not limited to blurred vision, double vision, and more.
- Cognitive processes may be affected if exposed to dangerous pesticides. Individuals may have problems thinking clearly, or simply concentrating. In serious cases, many have experienced problems in remembering things and basic short term and long term memory processes in general.
- Neurological conditions and diseases may be experienced.
- The Central Nervous System may be delayed when it comes to development, or the components of this system may experience a type of degeneration.
- The onset of serious health complications, such as cancer and other potentially fatal diseases may develop in an individual that has been exposed to flea and tick insecticides.
In addition to the problems that may develop in adults and children exposed to these harmful chemicals, pets may also suffer from health problems, and develop devastating diseases that may prove to be fatal in the end. Before using these products in your home, on your pet, or around the home, it is absolutely imperative to ensure that you understand the health hazards of flea and tick products. Even the flea collars that we can buy for our pets may also contain these dangerous chemicals.
There are products available that are not as toxic to pets, children and adults such as insect growth regulators (IGRs - some of the brand names are Advantage, Program, and Frontline). They can be purchased from Vet Products Direct they ship to Canada and the U.S.. They can be applied to the animal on the back of the neck. It covers a much smaller area. It is applied according to the size of the pet and is not thought to be harmful to people or animals.
It is important to carefully read the packaging to determine the appropriate dosage. If we have any of the above mentioned toxic products in our homes we should treat them as hazardous waste and dispose of them accordingly. This can help to keep our families, pets and the environment healthy and safe.
Return to Eco Pets
fleas and ticks