Greening offices is an important environmentally friendly exercise.
A number of things that we can do would help to reduce our impact on the environment.
- Change from inefficient lighting to energy-saving fluorescent or compact fluorescent lights or check out the increasing variety of LED lighting. LED lighting is the most efficient and safest form of lighting, for our health and protection of the environment.
- Use Energy Star computers and equipment which significantly reduces the electrical energy used. Put computers into energy-saving mode and shut them down when not being used.
- Programmable thermostats can save energy and money. When no one is in the office, lower the temperature and raise it again to a comfortable level prior to it being occupied again. The same can apply in reverse during the months requiring coolling.
- Use products made from recycled materials, such as recycled paper, to reduce the impact on the environment. Using recylced paper means less trees are being cut down. The number of chemicals used in the production of new paper is reduced. Land-fill sites have been spared at least the amount of paper that was recycled. An environmentally friendly source for stationery & office supplies is
Grass Roots Store.
They are located in Canada and also ship to the U.S.
- Recycling ink cartridges is another excellent option. This keeps a multitude of empty or almost empty cartridges out of land-fill sites.
- For an excellant resource on how to recycle ink-cartriges or refill them
- Reduce transportation costs and pollution by car pooling. Where possible, working the same number of hours over four days instead of five will of course reduce transportation costs by twenty percent. Many computer-based tasks can be accomplished at home as well as at the office. Public transit, bicycling, and walking can be excellent choices when appropriate and available.
Of course, let’s not forget the obvious: be sure to recycle discarded paper and containers. Why not provide a composting bin where appropriate. If we think about it, there are many more greening office ideas.
Return to Home Page from Greening Offices