Children are exposed to many harmful chemicals and toxins from their earliest days, either by the products they are exposed to or the environment in which they live. The youngest are the most vulnerable. Tests on umbilical cords and mothers’ breast milk have shown traces of pesticides and other harmful chemicals
- Pollution in the air we breathe
- Pollution of lakes and rivers
- Chemicals in the soil that get into ground-water
When we buy products for their needs, we must be careful.
Chemicals and Pesticides
- Baby bottles may contain BPA - plastic residue can leak into the baby’s food from baby bottles
- Baby creams, soaps and shampoos are made from petroleum by-products - these may irritate the skin and often have fragrances that can cause an allergic response.
- Cotton, which is a natural fibre, may contain pesticides unless it was organically grown.
- Popular brands of non-organic baby food, when tested, show levels of pesticides
- Clothes and bedding are often treated with formaldehyde to keep them wrinkle free
- New furniture, if made from press-wood, may contain formaldehyde glue which off-gasses for a number of weeks or months. Even your new crib mattress or rubber sheet may off-gas chemicals.
Disposable diapers have been bleached, leaving behind a chemical residue. They are also a huge environmental issue, as they are a significant contributor to the vast amounts of non bio-degradable garbage in landfill sites.
For a good cotton reusable alternative
Effects of Toxins in Children
Is it surprising that the number of children suffering from asthma is steadily climbing? The numbers of learning and behavioural disorders also are increasing at an alarming rate.
What can we do to protect the health of our children?
- We can provide organic food where possible, which will reduce pesticide contamination and contain more nutrients
- We can purchase solid wood furniture with safe finishes
- Organic clothing is best. But recycled clothing can be a good alternative because many of the toxins have been washed away by repeated laundering
- Maintain better air-quality in our homes by avoiding strong-smelling petroleum based products, especially cleaning products
The Grassroots Store
The Grassroots Store
is an excellent resource for safe, healthy products. They carry:
- Organic clothing, bedding, organic mattresses
- Organic skin products
- Non-toxic household cleaners
- Air and water purifiers
The Grassroots Store is committed to good quality, safe products. You can shop at their store confident that your buying pure ecofriendly safe products for your family and your home. For good, all-natural personal use and household cleaning products visit
the Grassroots Store